No photos for this update, mainly because I can’t remember where I put the camera, but also as there’s very little worth photographing at this stage. Hopefully once I get past the “cleaning the crap off and trying to catalogue the list of horrific bodges that need fixing” there’s going to be something worth taking a piccie of. So, first up… the head. As we saw last time out, it was in a bit of a state really, with a binding journal, and some tight clearances. While fixing that lot I also discovered that one of the exhaust studs has been snapped off at some point, and the helicoil bodge drilled off centre and at a rather jaunty angle. And, probably to mitigate the effects of an exhaust that wouldn’t seat properly any more, each exhaust port had two gaskets hammered into it. Fixing this would involve drilling out the helicoil, filling the hole with weld, and re-drilling and tapping the hole in the right place. I genuinely can’t be bothered with that, given that the rest of the head is pretty marginal. I may well look out for another head at some point in the future to see if it’s in better condition. Well, it’s unlikely to be any worse unless someone has set fire to it. For now, I’ll just re-bodge it, and see how it all runs.
The engine itself is now sitting on the floor next to the bike, ready to be handed over to the chaps at Cambridge Motorcycles for the gearbox work. Getting the engine out of the bike was one of the least enjoyable things I’ve done for several years. It should have all been a relatively simple process, but the lower rear engine mounting bolt wouldn’t shift. In the end, I was able to unbolt a little brackety-wotsit affair with the engine still in situ, and then allow the whole thing to slide forwards and out. It took three people though, and a not inconsiderable amount of tea. Once the engine was out, I could get to the bolt properly, and nothing I’ve tried so far has moved it. I’ve hit it with hammers, heated it, hit it again ,got a bigger hammer, soaked it in all sorts of nasty solvents and penetrating lubricants, heated it again, got the really big hammer, and even spent real money on an impact wrench. It’s still not moved. If I can get the engine back in the same way it came out, I think that’s what I’ll do. Last option for removal of the bolt is to weld another bolt onto the end of it, and get a big bar on there. Either that, or cut the whole thing out and try to pick up another brackety-wotsit from a breaker.
Which leads us nicely to the carbs. It’s fair to say that these carbs (Keihin FCR41s) were one of the main reasons I wanted to get my hands on this particular bike. I don’t think I’d have been tempted to swap the ZXR if it wasn’t for them. They suit the bike perfectly, and look great. Well, that’s to say they probably looked great. I couldn’t actually see them, as they had so much crud accumulated all over them. Honestly, when they came off the bike it looked like a massive ball of black tar with a couple of blue bellmouths sticking out of it. So yesterday I started to clean them up. And it took five hours of soaking in petrol, scrubbing, more soaking, running through the ultrasonic tank, scrubbing, cleaning etc. etc. But eventually they all came up clean, and it looks like all the jets are good. The throttle position sensor seems to be slightly out of alignment, but that’s something I can sort out once the carbs are back on. For now, they’re sitting on my bench looking lovely again. Now, seeing as my hand currently looks like this:
I’d like to say that all of the above work was carried out in an atmosphere of complete cleanliness and ruthless observation of hygiene protocols. Only that would be a complete lie. Luckily the stitches survived most of the work, and I only had one bloody moment when I tried clamping up some mole grips on the wayward exhaust stud. That was enough of a warning note though to make me hang up my spanners for a couple of weeks. Normal service will be resumed shortly.