Scar Tissue

I’ve reached that point on Project TRX when I need to start to consider cosmetics. Mechanically, it’s all coming back together nicely. Electrically, things are plugging in where they should, and the right circuits seem to be carrying the right signals at the right time. Sonically, well, there’s a few things to sort out before I attempt to start it, so that’s going to remain a tantalising mystery for the time being.

So. Cosmetics. I’ve kind of been cleaning things up as I went long for the main structural parts. The first decision I had to make was the frame – plan A was to blast it, and get it either powder coated or repainted. But as I ripped into the bike, I had a bit of a change of heart. You see, this was primarily a race bike, and was then enthusiastically toured around Europe on several long treks. It’s had a hard life. It shows its history in many places. And so, I decided to just patch up what I had rather than replacing anything. The frame was inspected, cleaned, and touched up where it needed it. The swingarm was just cleaned. Nothing else. There’s clear marks where it’s dropped a chain, but structurally, it’s fine. I started on the bodywork the other day – the tail unit was really pretty manky, with scratches, and marks from boots and panniers and probably from interactions with other bikes on the racetrack. I pulled off a couple of really old stickers, and just cleaned it up with a bit of t-cut. The seat is serviceable – I need to recover the bum stop pad, and I’ve got some spare material for this in the loft. Just need to pick up some glue and revisit my youth working as a sewing-machinist (yes, really, I did). The mudguard is shattered. And I can pick up a s/hand one from ebay for 50 quid, or even buy a new pattern part for not a lot more. Instead, I’ve patched it back together with cable ties and superglue, and just given it a good clean up. I’ve not started on the top fairing yet, but that will get the same treatment. I want this bike to carry its past with it, rather than to remove all traces of it.

Mechanically, we’re nearly there now (as long as everything works…). The engine is back in, the top end was carefully re-installed and timing checked and rechecked, the forks have been serviced, the brakes were stripped and cleaned and are just waiting for new pads. Loom is back in place (a very glib statement for an activity that took several evenings, and involved a highly impressive amount of proper anglo-saxon language), and a tentative prod with my bench power supply showed that the right circuits lit up at the right time. Carbs were re-installed along with the (frankly dreadful) vacuum hoses to the fuel pump and tap. I may well lose both of these horrible ideas in the future, and fit an electric pump. Footpegs and clocks and other ancilliaries are all cleaned and refitted.

So what’s left? Well, mainly, the fuel system. The tank is still chock-full of rust. So I need to sort that out, and the associated hoses and gubbins that have all gone crusty and wrinkly with time. Much like myself. Also I need to repack the ‘silencers’. I’ll probably use acousta-fil for this, in an attempt to make sure that Spike and Phil don’t actually laugh at me when I take it for an MOT. And then it’s really consumables – tyres, battery, chain&sprockets, oil&filter. But there’s no rush.

There’s still plenty to be done for sure, and it’s not going anywhere near a road for a few months yet. Well, firstly I need my finances to recover a little bit [1]. And actually, I’m enjoying this rebuild so much that I don’t want it to end too soon. And I want it to wear its scars with pride.

In other news, it’s time I dusted my bicycle off from its winter hibernation. I’m fat, pasty, and unfit. If I’m going to get old, I’m doing it on my terms and timescale. I’m going for a bike ride tomorrow.

[1] An unexpectedly large and unavoidable bill has meant that I needed to sell the TZR250. I’m not upset about this, firstly as the reason for selling it is entirely and completely the right thing to do. But also, it went straight back to Kev, who sold it to me in the first place. Hope you enjoy it dood – it’s been a labour of love.